The Palugyay family, which belonged to important wine-growing families, especially in the second half of the 19th and the beginning of the 20th century, has its roots in Liptov. He comes from Palúdzka, today's part of Liptovský Mikuláš. According to available historical sources, it all started with Ladislav, who lived in the second half of the 13th century. At the end of the 15th century, the Palugyay family acquired the coat of arms, which was published by Matej Korvín. Since then, we can find the Palugyay family in other parts of Slovakia. They lived not only in Honta, Šariš and Zemplín, but also in Piešťany and Bratislava. As it turned out later, it was the settlement of the Bratislava capital by the Palugyay family that was important for the birth of the famous Palugyay wine.
Jakub Palugyay was the founder of the famous Palugyay wine shop. He was born in 1819 to Ignác and Jozefín Palugyayov, who served on the Grassalkovich estate. It is rumored that James was their illegitimate son. According to some sources, his real father was Heinrich Michl, a man's tablemaker who also worked in Grassalkovich's palace. The reason for the birth of a son out of wedlock was supposed to be the ill health of Ignatius, who did not want to allow the Palugyay family to die by the sword. In any case, Ignatius adopted James as his son.
The successful future of Jakub Palugyaya begins to emerge after the death of his alleged blood father Heinrich. After his death, he left him his movable property, 146 gold and 13 ducats. This legacy helped him stand on his own two feet. At the age of 23, Jakub rents an inn with accommodation on the shores of the lake near Bratislava's Železná studnička, which is widely known for its perfect services and even better cuisine. His non-noble direct treatment of guests in combination with the services offered will open another door to the big world of business.